Monday, December 20, 2010

Health center head 'helping people who can't help themselves'

From the UticaOD.com

Janine Carzo first heard about a program using federal dollars to subsidize health care for the uninsured in the mid-1990s.

But it wasn't until last month that her efforts finally came to fruition, with the opening of the Utica Community Health Center on Oneida Street. The center's construction was funded in large part with federal stimulus money.

Carzo, who is the executive director of the center, answered questions about her new job recently. Those interested in the health center are encouraged to call ahead for appointments at 793-7600.

QUESTION: What are your responsibilities?

ANSWER: I oversee the entire operation. I hire the dental and medical providers. I hire the staff and schedule the staff. I've ordered all the equipment and supplies for the start-up. I've worked with other staff members to develop policy and procedures to get us going. I've helped with the institution of electronic health records.

QUESTION: How will you measure success at the nonprofit health center?

ANSWER: I would measure success by the reduction of the number of people using the emergency room; that we cut down on the people who feel the emergency room is their only source for medical care, for both medical and dental.

QUESTION: How has more than 20 years of experience in the health care industry prepared you for this challenge?

ANSWER: My experience has been primarily in helping people who can't help themselves. I started off as a social worker. So now, having been in the field of health care for 20-plus years, I know who to call, what resources to tap, providers I can call on to help and things that will assist our patients overall.

No comments: